UNANG YAKAP protocols of DOH
Objective 1: Dry and provide warmth and prevent hypothermia.
- Double gloves before delivery.
- USe clean, dry cloth to thoroughly dry the baby.
- Do a quick check on breathing while drying.
- Do not put the baby on cold or wet surface.
- Do not bathe earlier than 6 hours after delivery.
- Put in a warm safe place close to the mother. (if the baby is to be separted from the mother)
Objective 2: Facilitate bonding between the mother and baby through skin-to-skin contact to reduce likelihood of infection and hypoglycemia.
- Place the baby prone on the mother’s abdomen or chest.
- Cover the baby’s back with blanket; head with bonnet.
- Put an ID band on baby’s ankle.
- If possible, do not separate the baby to the mother.
Objective 3: Reduce incidence of anemia in term newborns and intraventricular hemorrhage in preterm newborns by delaying cord clamping.
- Remove first set of gloves immediately prior to cord clamping.
- Clamp the cord after pulsation have stopped (1-3 minutes). Do not milk toward the newborn.
- Clamp 2cm and 5 cm from the newborn’s abdomen and cut the cord between the 2 clamps.
- Administer 10 iu of oxytocin to the mother.
Objective 4.1: Facilitate initiation of breastfeeding.
- Observe newborn for feeding cues: opening of mouth, tonguing, licking and rooting.
- Encourage newborn to move towards the breast.
Objective 4.2: Proper eyecare and immunization procedures.